Sunday, March 2, 2008

Makenna's Baptism








Makenna was baptized January 31, 2008. I will never forget how beautiful that morning was in Hawaii. Outside of our hotel there was this little lagoon, it was surrounded by palm trees and waterfalls, we thought this would be the perfect location. We decided 7:30 a.m. would be a great time because it would be fairly vacant that early in the morning. It had been lightly raining that morning and everything seemed a little bit more spectacular.  All of the sand that surrounded the lagoon had been raked to perfection.  Makenna's little feet prints were the first mark on the sand. 
We had asked our Stake President (Steve Peterson) if he could preside over the baptism. He and his wife (Cathy) were serving as mission presidents over in Oahu,  when they had accepted we were so grateful because we both knew how busy they were. My parent's and our friends Kione, Nikki, Tiare, Tai, and Malia Gonzales were also able to be there.  As we waited for the Peterson's everything was so peaceful. We were able to really think and reflect about what was about to happen. The spirit was so strong. It had reminded me of our wedding day, sitting in the Celestial room waiting to be sealed. I can't describe my feelings, here we were 13 years later with our 5 beautiful children, in a place that has to look just like heaven. 
As the Peterson's arrived the rain just stopped. The world left us and it felt like our little group was all that existed. A big rainbow stretched across the sky. I watched my little girl grow up just a little as she entered the water with her dad, grandpa Alan, and friend Kione. It was a wonderful experience for all of us, as every baptism is. It is just a little bit more special when it is your little girl. I am so proud to be her mother. I love her with my whole heart. 
After the baptism we went back up to our hotel room. We were staying in a two bedroom condo so there was plenty of room for our little group. My dad confirmed Makenna a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints, and gave her the Gift of the Holy Ghost. His blessing was amazing. It is a remarkable thing to hear a man give a blessing when he truly honors his priesthood. I can not express the love I have for my dad, he is what every father and grandfather should be. 
I hope she remembers the beauty of that day, the love of not only those that were there but also the love of her Father in Heaven. I pray that she will live her religion. I will try my hardest to be the example that my parents have always been, so she will not be confused about what is taught versus the way we live. She is the strongest willed child I have ever met, and I know that will lead her to greatness. I also know that it is up to Adam and I to be righteous parents and to lead her in the right direction. 
Everything about that day was a precious gift. I am so thankful for the opportunity we all had to be in such a beautiful place with the people we love. 

4 comments:

Trish said...

Absolutely amazing! How many kids will get to say they were baptized in the ocean in Hawaii? It looks magnificent.

Jana said...

Those pictures are beautiful. My favorite one is Adam And Mckenna looking out at the ocean together. Mckenna will remember her special baptism day forever.

Simply Be Photo/Melissa said...

so pretty! i wish we could of been there!

MelBrooks. said...

That sounds wonderful! I wish I could have been there, just reading about It I can feel the spirit! Love you!